Thursday, July 25, 2013

#1 "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou

 
I spent the first half of Caged Bird convinced that Marguerite could not possibly be associated with the strong Maya Angelou Greek goddess I have envisioned in my mind. I thought maybe, just maybe this is some commentary from Angelou of the typical experience of her generation, maybe it's some kind of farce. And then all in a hurry in the last three chapters, Marguerite transforms from the small child she'd been for 260 pages, into the tower of strength which we (I) picture Angelou as today.

The book was worth reading, as every high school English teacher I ever had insisted it was, but I wish that the tales of evolving from child to adult that are contained in Caged Bird had been assigned to me earlier in life alongside the likes of Hughes and Bronte. As a college graduate the helpful hints and nudges are a little over due, and the message of tragedy and oppression a little overshadowed by daily headlines in every major newspaper.

Given time, and the chance of stumbling across the next five volumes of Angelou's autobiography, I will likely continue with the series. Though for now, I won't be ordering my copies.

Overall: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment