Wednesday, April 16, 2014

#62 "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card



Within the first 20 minutes of attempting to read this novel, I was told that the author was a homophobic a** and the book wasn't worth my time. But since it was already packed in my carry on and I had grown weary of the movie options, I pressed through. (It was particularly fun to read this on the plane, while the man across the isle and up a few rows was watching the movie version. I kept trying to figure out where he was in comparison to myself)

The book was like a YA attempt at creating a space-age "Lord of the Flies" rewrite. And it didn't achieve any of those goals. The plot was pretty much predictable, and the unnerving tone of LOTF was lost between characters' points of view. If the novel was supposed to have a message, it didn't come across well enough for a YA reader or a university level English class. I definitely won't be reading the next dozen in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment