Tuesday, October 1, 2013

#11 "Starter for Ten" by David Nicholls



If you fell in love with James McAvoy before he did Becoming Jane and Atonement, or if after seeing these movies you watched everything he's ever done (Wanted is a fantastic movie, so please watch it even if you don't like violent movies)--the you've probably seen Starter for 10. I had no idea it was also a book, but having enjoyed the movie and had the book dropped in my lap I clearly read it.

The book and the movie follow identical plots. It's one of those magical things where I don't think the producers even changed the dialog. They are the same. The book was entertaining, and had me laughing out loud, but I think it's best if you choose one or the other, or at least if you've seen the movie already, don't bother with the book.

The beauty of the book is with the main character, Brian Jackson, who is by all accounts an exceedingly average 19 year old. He is written with all the rough edges, painfully awkward, with no social or hygienic skills. His portrayal is so honest that it is at times uncomfortable to read. You want to yell at him to stop talking or just go home or for god's sake get up and do something with his life. But if you power through, there are enough sweet or funny true to life moments to make up for Brian Jackson's failure to function as a basic human being.

Nicholls is a strong enough writer that I will likely pick up some of his other works when they fall into my lap. But then again, reading the book leaves the reader McAvoy-less.

No comments:

Post a Comment