Friday, November 15, 2013

#19 "A Game of Thrones" by George R.R. Martin



Unless you've been living under a book and tv rock for the last what, three years now? You probably know about Game of Thrones the HBO series and first book by the same name of the Song of Ice and Fire series. That being said I'm going to now forgoe the plot summary paragraph and move onto a short review.

While Martin's writing style is something akin to Tolkein or Baum, vorbose, overly descriptive, and exacting (three things not at all up my alley), his plot lines are dramatic and engaging enough to draw the reader in and hold their attention for around 50 pages at a time. The first time I picked up the book it was a library copy I was starting at 1 am during a week of grass-roots camp. I was to interested to put it down and ended up falling asleep with the book in my face. Sadly my interest was touch and go and it's taken me over a year to finally finish the 807 page book.

While I have the next 3 volumes of the series already it may take me until I'm staring down the flight to Ireland to actually read them. Especially given the way that first book ended, I'm a little depressed with the story line.

No comments:

Post a Comment