Tuesday, September 3, 2013

#4 "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult



I avoided reading this book for years, it seemed so mainstream, and the hint of religion bothered me in years past. But reading it now it's not the soft style or the predictable plot twists that drive me crazy, it's the fact that a book with English like this has become so popular. Yes, it's the rant of my week. I hate that intelligent media reinforces typical grammar mistakes, and most of all that editors don't catch or correct these things. What would our world be like, how strong would our language be if we insisted that every book editor take a grammar course every three years?

But anyways, as for the actual book: everyone who has ever insisted I read this book has focused on the Anna-Kate story line. Two sisters, one conceived to provide medical donations to her older sister, sick with essentially terminal cancer. But the reason I read this book in two days has nothing to do with Anna. I made my decision about what I would do in her situation 20 pages in, as soon as her mother started remembering that they designed their third child to be a donor. I think we all can make that decision pretty quickly, and for me the moral dilemma simply isn't that delicious because, while I know exactly what I would do, I don't believe in forcing my decision on anyone else, so reach your own conclusion.

No, what kept me reading was the Campbell-Julia love story and wanting to figure out the little mysteries. I felt the whole book like I was reading the Bye Bye Birdie novel equivalent. Everyone who read this book because Oprah told them to is worried about Kim and Hugo ending up together, while the people paying attention know it's all about Albert growing up and finally marrying Rosie. Just like Birdie isn't about Conrad at all, I never felt like this book was actually about Anna. And that drove me crazy. That being said, in the last 20 pages, your decision already made, your mind certain of every outcome, it's Anna who will make you cry because the book is written to her, about her, surrounding her, so you care that it's sad and that it hurts, and that it's killing everyone, and that's because of Anna (how's that for improper grammar?).

If you're getting on an airplane, pick up a Picoult book, they're total brain candy. Plus you're likely to bawl your eyes out in public which is always awkward. But if you want to read a story of moral dilemma, I'm sure there's something more challenging out there for you. Pretty much anything that has a Lady or the Tiger ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment