Saturday, December 7, 2013

#21 "Jurassic Park" by Michael Crichton



Jurassic Park was one of my first PG13 films as a kid. My parents loved the logic so they were like "sure, our 7 year old is prepared for this". I had nightmares about raptors opening my bedroom door in the middle of the night for a month. But I love this film so much now. I've been trying for years to make the time to read the series and I'm so glad I finally got around to it because the book was amazing. As good as the film. The logic and science behind the book is much better than the film, but the film twists the characters and plot just enough to make it a better story.

In case you don't like Stephen Spielberg: Jurassic Park is the story of an island that has been created to be a live theme park for the elite, featuring cloned dinosaurs who walk around their habitats like a zoo. The creators of the park threw caution to the wind and ignored any signs or warnings that the park could not be contained. The park falls into chaos when the series of experts they have been using as consultant come to the island and finally discover the full extent of what they have been supporting. Trapped in the park without electricity, weapons, with uncontrolled dinosaurs trying to eat them, and all separated from each other, the team has to figure out how to destroy the park and survive in the process.

I'm thinking that in my classroom I will keep a small shelf of second-hand fiction that has a strong science base. I would love students to be reading fiction just like this and then have real, informed conversations about scientific possibility and morality. Damn that would be a cool science classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment