Saturday, December 21, 2013

#25 "Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelli



I started off wishing I had read this book in 8th grade when I spend 6 months sitting at the popular table, not realizing that I was ignoring the people I actually wanted to be sitting with and was being laughed at (just like everyone else) every time they thought I couldn't hear them. They were mean kids, no doubt about it. But I wasn't ready to be an individual yet. I'm not sure I was ready to be an individual until late in my Sophmore year of college, but that's another subject. By the end of the book I was less convinced that I should have spent the 5 hours or so reading it at all.

Stargirl is about a girl, Susan, who calls herself Stargirl. She starts attending a public high school after being home schooled all her life. She is unabashedly herself, initially popular, suffers the consequences of being kind, tries to change herself for a boy, and lets her whole world fall apart. The book is written in a style not unlike John Green, but it lacks his understanding of female motivation. Spinelli is clearly a man who gets teenage boys but never spent years unraveling the psyche behind the girls he liked when he was a teenage boy.

I am apparently in a phase of reading YA lit. I'm also reading biographies, classic lit, and in German, but all of these are a little slower going.

No comments:

Post a Comment