Tuesday, December 17, 2013

#24 "Dash & Lily's Book of Dares" by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan



These are the authors who brought you Nick and Nora. And while I have to admit I've never seen that movie or red that book, it always looked intriguing. So when a search on What Should I Read Next suggested Dash and Lily I figured this book was 1) Christmasy; 2) YA "Romance" so it had to end happily and 3) YA so it had to be a reasonably quick read. I was right on all three counts. Once I finally got access to the book* I was finished in 5 hours.

The book met all of my expectations. I disagree with a few of the reviews that the characters were unrealistic, Dash was pretentious or the details of the character's lives were uninteresting. These kids met in a book shop, through a book with tasks to complete. If they weren't unusually well read, friendly people, they wouldn't be able to survive the book. The only thing I found to be overkill from authors who haven't been teenage misfits in at least a decade was that Lily has no friends but is captain of her high school soccer team.

I'm not certain how many of the places Dash and Lily visit are real, but more than 1 will certainly be on my list for New York Christmas 2014. I'll have to check out the ebook again to make a list.

*Local libraries are awesome. Even if you read one book a year. Even if you just like to skim magazines. Local libraries are great places. Thanks to my local lib I now have access to several thousand ebooks and no shortage of reading material!

No comments:

Post a Comment